- necessary treatment for complete or partial arch reconstruction to immediately replace the recently extracted teeth
- they are used as temporary restoration, while a permanent dental treatment is chosen as final solution; bridge, cast partial denture complete denture or implant overdenture.
- protect the gum after extraction for a safer and more rapid healing
- in most cases they can be fabricated before the extraction is made so it can be use right after the extractions are made.
- help to restore patient’s overall appearance and enable them to re-establish their normal day-to-day functions such as eating and speaking right after the extractions
- easy to reline after gum decrease/healing
- easy to clean
- they must be relined or replaced after the majority of initial gum healing has taken place, usually around 3 to 6 months after extractions
- they are bulky and have limited stability over the process of gum healing and for some patients, this may create discomfort
- limited strength